School Choice
Every year, we consider whether we want to homeschool for another year--it's very much a year to year decision around here (OK, honestly, sometimes it's day to day!). With the way our school systems are set up down here, we have to be thinking about it before the school year is even half over--to put the kids into public school for the next year, we have to enroll them in January/March, or else we are probably not going to get into the public school we would like (even if it's the closest one to us). Usually, we have gotten to this point in the year and have not been interested in changing our situation.
This year, though, that has changed. We are in our sixth full year of homeschooling (which sounds like a long time to me!), and I'm getting tired and discouraged, and a bit overwhelmed. I am strong in believing that homeschooling was the right choice for us up to now, but at this point, I'm thinking we're ready to move on, both for my benefit and more especially for the children.
We haven't decided yet, and just thinking through it for the past few weeks is alternately stressful, liberating, overwhelming, depressing, and a little bit hopeful. If we choose public school, we have just a few more days to get their names in for the lottery. We are actually considering private school as an option, too, for a variety of reasons (the main question being which child to sell so that we can afford it...just kidding! But if they are in school, I might even be able to work some! which, in turn, might help pay for that option).
Obviously, there is a lot more going on in my head than just the above, but it's too much for a blog post (and will get too overwhelming to put on paper!). I just wanted to share in a general way that this is going on, and if you are the praying type, I'd appreciate your prayers as we make this decision. In the next week and a half.



